Skip to main content

Monks and Monasteries of the Mountains

It was a just a nice winter morning like all other but with a slight difference mood in all ways. I found myself roaming in the hilly roads, covered by clouds and fogs. Gangtok, the Capital of Sikkim, is always a center of monasteries, monks and mountains. The Seven brothers of Mountain Chain rounding this amThe day of cloudy when we set out for a local tour of the City and Around. There were lots of placed to visit like Golden Stup, Museum, Hunuman Tok, Ganesh Tok, Taschi View Point.

But the main attraction was the two Monasteries "RANKA" and "RUMTEK".azing city, will make you breathe more than anywhere in India. Ranka Monastery, Calm, Quiet, sounds only the breezing wind and birds, missing Monks and Festive. The ideal place for study and meditation. The natural beauty of that place made us overwhelming. It was not very early morning a RANKA, but the doors were closed and there were very few monks in that Monastery. The Driver of our rented car, came out as a very familiar person among the monks. A young open the doors of monastery for us. He also allow us to take photo of the inside story. At my first step inside the monastery, a current flew through my body, a completely different world, a world of wisdom, a world of divinity, a world of "Tyag". The golden huge status of BuddhaDeva was truly influencing the whole place as well as the ones in there. There were various accessories, lots of foods and books kept inside in a systematic way. There are also some pictures of High Monks, along with that of Dalailama. The inside walls, roof, doors, curtains are the most fashionable and colorful things I have ever seen. Lots of messages and historic tales are documented on each of them. Three different flags hoisted on the Gate of the Monastery also drew our attention.


Inside the RANKA Monastery





When we reached Rumtek Monastery, a holy festive was about to start. Monks of different ages were getting dressed in there special ways. The air was getting decorated with the Smoke and the sound of "Damama". A group of monks first started walking in a rounding fashion and got assembled in front of the monastery. The king monk, dressed very specially and differently than all, stood in the center. A separate group of monk were drumming from the side. A monk, seems to be a kind of "Priest" was giving the some holy liquid to the king in a fancy glass and He was throwing those liquid all around. The function ended with a round of high beat drumming and praying sound from all of the monks. The function last for 15-20 minutes, a very interesting experience, which otherwise been seen in Discovery Channel or in NGC.


The holy function at RUMTEK Monastery


Group of Lamas Drumming the Damama at RUMTEK


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Durga Puja

Durga Puja means a new life, a new hope, a new starting, forgetting all that happened past. And I know I will not be at all wrong if I say, we the Bengali count days at least for four months for these four days. These four days are the most favorite days of a year, for each and everyone of us. Durga Puja, this year was slightly different for me. Unfortunately, I was not at my home as usual, I was in Kolkata. But this gave me the opportunity to feel the nostalgic four days of Kolkata. Starting from the Panchomi night, the five days were truly exceptional. Durga Puja in Kolkata Click on the photo above to open link to photo album

Speech of an empty mind

Whenever I sit to write anything, the first line that comes to my mind is that I am not writing anything for a long time. I questioned myself, is this time gap the driving force which let me to write again another post? I do never have the answer and today is no exception like other days. The tired and clumsy days become sweet and calm in these late nights. Each and everyone of us enjoys breaking the rules and it gives a pleasant energy source to do the rest of the stuffs. So am I, and I feel good to sleep late and long. Writing a blog when my eyes are about to shutdown, my hands try to become steady still, but it is the mind who never got tired, and it enjoys the fight between this two.

Where the Heaven Starts

The word was well known to me "DEVOBHUMI", but I was not familiar with it. In the moth of May, just before monsoon we are there, my dad, my mom and me... just a small family tour. When I got a call from my dad, that he had some meeting in Delhi and wants to visit the Devobhumi once again, there was nothing to look back. It was my first opportunity to see the place where the Heaven starts. When we reached the Gateway of Himalaya, "Haridwar" - Hari ki Dwar, means the door to heaven where God Bishnu (Hari) Lives. The Sun had already ready to fly down and a pleasant breezy air was playing with the Greens of the valley. The small town Haridwar, bears the eternal symbol of Bhakti, in its construction, in its atmosphere and in its people. As the Marbel Murti of God Shiva attracts you so as His Monkeys, even just walking on the road you will feel that "No you are not in this Cruel and Selfish World, you are in some where else, where everything is beautiful from...